When my friend sent me this recipe for a vegetarian zucchini pizza, I was skeptical. One bite later, I was a fan! It’s hard to believe that the combination of zucchini, garlic, onion and cashew-based sauce (no mayo, no cheese, no ketchup!) can be so tasty!
Ingredients: 2-3 zucchinis, 1/2 – 1 onion, 2-3 mushrooms (optional), 1 handful of cashew nuts, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp of olive oil, salt, pepper, pizza dough. Note: these ingredients are for a medium (12-14′) pizza. If you don’t feel like making your own pizza dough, try the fresh dough from Lina’s Market(you can divided it in half and freeze it).
- Using your hands (and a bit of flour if necessary), flatten the pizza dough and place it on a pizza tray or in an oven-proof dish.
- Brush 1 tsp of olive oil on the dough.
- In a blender or food processor, mix 1 handful of cashew nuts with a bit of water (around 1/4 cup). Pour the resulting cashew paste in a small container.
- Peel and mince the garlic cloves, add them to the cashew paste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon approximately half of the cashew paste on the pizza dough.
- Peel and slice onion. Spread slices onto the dough.
- Slice the mushrooms and put them on.
- Grate the zucchinis. You can use a box grater or the veggie peeler. Spread them on top of the mushrooms and add some more cashew paste.
- Bake in the oven (350F) for 30 minutes or until zucchinis are golden.