It may seem complicated, but this appetizer is easy to make and you can save on calories using low-fat cheese. You’ll need: 1 eggplant, 2 egg whites, breadcrumbs, grated cheese, salt, pepper and thyme (or basil).
- Wash eggplant then cut thin, round slices.
- Put them on a big plate and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes, then wash the salt off.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites (you can use whole eggs if you don’t mind the cholesterol) and add salt, pepper and thyme (or basil).
- Dip each eggplant slice in the egg whites, then press it into the breadcrumbs.
- Put eggplant slices on a cookie tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, turning once.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese on each eggplant slice, and then bake for 5 more minutes (or until cheese is golden).