I had to cook something really quick last night: risotto always does the trick. It works with any type of rice, but I used the plain white one.
Ingredients:1 onion, oil, 1 cup of rice, 1/2 cup frozen peas & carrots, 2 sundried tomatoes, 1/4 cup white wine (cooking wine), 1 maggie cube, salt, pepper, basil. Optional: you can add some grated cheese (parmegiano works best, but substitute with anything else you have in the fridge).
- Finely cut onion and fry it in a pot with just a bit of olive oil. Put the 2 sundried tomatoes in a small cup and cover them with hot water for 10 minutes.
- Add rice and frozen peas and carrots, and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour wine. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add some 2 and 1/2 cups of water. Add 1 maggie cube (or a bit of vegeta), salt and pepper. Cover and let boil for some 20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Add basil. If rice is not tender, add some 1/2 cup water and let it absorb. My advice is to keep on stiring at this point, cause rice tends to stick on the bottom of the pan.