They call it the boeuf salad, but to some it’s merely an oriental salad. Well, the heck with all the definitions and labels. What matter is that it’s tasty, not to mention you can express your creativity with the decoration. Here’s what you’ll need: 2-3 large potatoes, 500 gr. peas and carrots (buy them frozen, with the carrots already chopped), 1-2 parsnips, half celery root (optional), black pitted olives, pickles, 300 gr. ham, 1 jar of mayo and 1 jar of mustard.
- Peel potatoes, then cut into small cubes. Boil. When done, drain them well and place them in a big big bowl.
- Boil peas and carrots. When done, drain them well and place them in the bowl.
- Peel and cut parsnips and celery root into small cubes (if you’re not a fan, you can forget about them). Same as above.
- Cut pickles into small cubes. Place in bowl.
- Cut olives. Place in bowl.
- Cut ham. Place in bowl.
- Now that all ingredients are in the bowl, add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard and 2-3 tablespoons of mayo. Carefully mix.
- Put everything in the serving dish, pressing with a tablespoon or spatula to make sure the salad gets compact. Take one extra tablespoon of mayo and spread it on top, in a thin layer.
- Decorate with remaining olives, boiled eggs and carrots, and pickles.
You can always replace ham with chicken breast. Or, if vegetarian, just take the meat out completely.